This page contains links to Somaliland Focus press releases and other media coverage of the 2010 Somaliland elections.
Somaliland Focus press releases
Women and young people are playing a key role in building a democratic society in Somaliland, says a report on Somaliland’s 2010 presidential elections by the international election observation team…
- 27 July 2010 A new president for Somaliland
Somaliland’s new president inaugurated in Hargeisa following final confirmation of June election results…
Provisional results indicate win for Ahmed Silanyo of the Kulmiye party – President Riyale defeated, the country’s National Electoral Commission says…
Progressio, the Development Planning Unit of University College London (UCL) and Somaliland Focus (UK) congratulate the people of Somaliland and the National Electoral Commission on a peaceful…
- 25 June 2010 Somaliland elections: Ready, steady, go!
Election observers for presidential poll dispatch teams into far-flung regions of the country ahead of Saturday’s crucial vote, The international mission to observe Somaliland’s long-delayed…
- 17 May 2010 Somaliland: Election date draws near
Co-ordinators of international election observers give cautiously positive assessment for the holding of elections in Somaliland…
Media coverage by international election observers
- Meeting at Chatham House, 18 May 2011: Somaliland: The Way Forward
After a peaceful election and transfer of power, May 2011 marked the twentieth anniversary of Somaliland’s declaration of independence. At this event, participants presented the findings of the international election observer meeting, assessed Somaliland’s progress over the past 20 years and discussed its future. The meeting launched both the observers report and the book Somaliland the Way Forward.
- 30 August 2010: The election observers: the New Zealand angle
Radio Live (New Zealand) interviewed Michael Walls and Conrad Heine of Somaliland Focus from Hargeisa just after the presidential election.
- Meeting at Chatham House, 4 August 2010: Somaliland’s Election: Reflections on the Result
In association with Somaliland Focus, Chatham House hosted this event, which discussed what the result in the presidential election means for Somaliland’s developing democracy and international standing.
A slideshow with commentary on Somaliland’s presidential elections, featuring images by Claudia Simoes, published in The Economist online.
- 6 June 2010: Somaliland expects
Ignored by the world, Somaliland’s peaceful elections were aided by press freedom unparalleled in the region. Will international recognition follow? – Index on Censorship article by Sarah Howard, international election observer.
Links to other media coverage of 2010 Somaliland elections
- An interview with President Silanyo published in The Economist’s Africa Blog in December 2010
- Financial Times – Election victor takes power in Somaliland
- The Economist – Not so failing
- Voice of America – Somaliland prepares
- Al-Jazeera – Somaliland set for Presidential vote
- UCL News – Somaliland election hailed as peaceful expression of popular will